7 hour Time change after starting X

Author: Bob Cober
Subject: 7 hour Time change after starting X
Here is a strange problem. I am running RH7.1 on a laptop, and have been having problems with my system clock. It seems everytime I start X, the clock jumps back 7 hours.

I can set the clock in the bios, reboot, login, and run date and everything is fine. I can shutdown. Disconnect power and wait a few hours, then loging and everything is fine. As soon as I run startx though, the time goes back 7 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might cause this. I am about to blow away everything and install RH7.2 for other reasons...(mainly I am purging win2k entirely off the box :)), but I am completely puzzled by this.

I am running a fairly recent version of GNOME...

Thanks for any help
Bob