kernel networking problem

Author: Eric
Subject: kernel networking problem
> Hmm, is there anything else you see in
> kernel.log/messages/global.log/other pertinent log file? Also, what does
> /proc/pci look like? Without either NIC, does the notebook function
> properly under load? I wonder if there isn't something broken with either
> one of the NICs or the PCI bus. Possibly even bad memory, but I'm
> guessing one of the NICs. Can you take out the NIC that plays eth1 and
> only put the other in? Does the problem continue? How about with the
> "eth1" NIC all by itself (taking on the role of eth0)? How about both
> NICs in, but PCMCIA card slots swapped?

I did some research and saw that a number of people had experienced problems
with the 3com pcmcia's. And after reading George Toft's linux laptop
firewall page, I thought I would try Linksys. I could have tinkered a bit
more and maybe solved it, but time is money. With two Linksys 10 MBPS
cards, the problem has disappeared. I transferred 4 gigs of mp3's to a
remote drive, while listening to streaming Shoutcast, and while surfing the
'Net, all at the same time--no freezing, smooth as silk! Thanks for your
advice in any event!

~Eric