computer networkers, please rise

Author: Matt Alexander
Subject: computer networkers, please rise
I remember reading somewhere that Linux assigns each eth device in a
particular order based on the PCI slot. I think maybe it was the PCI slot
closest to the CPU would become eth0 and the next would become eth1, etc.
I could be completely off about this, however. In the case of PCMCIA
cards that you're using, you could try experimenting by swapping them back
and forth, etc., to see which order it is on your system. And for PCI
cards, you could plug one in at a time and configure it before adding the
next one.
~M

__