Possible project (was Re: US states want MS Office ported to…

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Possible project (was Re: US states want MS Office ported toLinux (fwd))
What is it that you are gonna demo exactly? Im just curious, as having a
few people stand around a terminal and just bag on how horrible microsoft
is, isnt very effective evangelism.

Not saying that is what would be done or what is proposed, but if there
isnt something 'specific' that one has in mind to actually demonstrate or
speak on, I can see it easily turning into that. Not because our
representatives would want that, but generally the public is pissed at
microsoft and if you explain that its an alternative they will be quick to
start listing the evils m$ has done to them, and lets face it, its hard
to not sympathize with that. ;)

On that note, a rep from a Nashville LUG has invited some of our team
(GNUe) to come speak for them. In speaking more with their group they
have a KILLER concept. They are doing FREE CLASSES on GNU/Linux. Where
they make REAL course material and schedule a semester and require a book
etc. They are then turning the courses out as free for other LUGS to use
and are making a system to schedule classes etc etc etc.

I think something like this would be WONDERFUL. Especially for
'newbies'/'programmers'. I was thinking of perhaps making course material
for a 8 or 12 week course on GNOME 101 or PYTHON 101. When I hear things
like this Fry's marketing, it would make sense if we were offerring such
courses to be able to offer them to 'learn more'. An install fest for
example is nice, but it puts GNU/Linux on their machine and then 'what do
they do with it', if we had something like LINUX BASICS or something the
first week or two would be install and get devices working and the the
rest of the weeks would be getting up to speed on the desktop and
environment etc...

Just some ideas. Brian maybe sequioa could let us use some rooms for this
kind of stuff? We could even offer the courses to their students and
their families if they so desired.

--Derek