Possible project (was Re: US states want MS Office ported to…

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: Possible project (was Re: US states want MS Office ported to Linux (fwd))
quoted from a discussion elsewhere:
> > It would be nice if a group could link up with an independent
> > computer manufacture and set up some computers at a
> > demonstration kiosk in the mall (ala Video professor) and let
> > people play with them, that would pique their interest. ...
>
> Now ***HERE*** is an interesing idea. Anybody have the time to
> manage something like this? During the christmas season, have
> a booth at a mall or something...

It would need a manufacturer's backing, or some other financing.
Kiosk space in a mall during the holiday season is expensive!

Maybe a local computer hardware store that was willing to endure
Microsoft's wrath?

IBM is not pushing Linux for office use. What company would
see this as an investment?

Some PC builder? Previous Linux PC ventures have not done well,
but they were before their time. We may be approaching a time
when someone could leverage hardware sales by eliminating the
software licensing, but that may still need another year or so
of refinement on the Linux desktop.

Any effort of this sort has to be part of a hard-headed commercial
venture, with a demonstrable chance of a business payback.
So the Linux PCs being demonstrated have to be tied in with
availability of service, etc. A local computer store run and
supported by a viable number of True Believers would be the best
candidate.

Vic