Amavis - Qmail -Debian

Author: Craig White
Subject: Amavis - Qmail -Debian
Nancy Sollars wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply ...
>
> To your question im not sure ...
>
> I had sendmail forwarding mail to an Exchange server things screw'd up alot
> .. I had to hack around alot in the sendmail.cf which most people would say
> forget it ...
>
> I would not under any circumstancies suggest using Exchange with any Linux
> based MTA, Exchange does some strange stuff on its own ..
>
> A problem u may find is .. if u do get it up and running ,, is with the
> notify feature that is someone puts that stupid tag of alert that the mail
> has been read by the recipient. It causes no end of problems i had mail
> bouncing around when ever anybody did this from either inside sending out or
> vice versa ,,

-----------
this is silly. mail bounces because mail and/or dns isn't properly
configured - be it exchange/sendmail/qmail/groupwise etc. For load
balancing, I have a large non-profit client that has sendmail on 2
different servers - one accepts incoming mail, one handles outgoing mail
and all of the domain mail is forwarded to an internal Novell Groupwise
server - all of this configured in less than 2 hours and I had
absolutely no knowledge of Novell or Groupwise.

I have no problems forwarding mail from one server to another - it is
done all the time in large organizations and it makes sense.

There are a lot of anti-virus solutions for Exchange Server and if you
are gonna pay the money for all the Exchange Server user licenses, it
only follows that you should purchase an Exchange compliant anti-virus
solution.

As for editing sendmail.cf - the recommended method is don't. You edit
sendmail.mc and then generate sendmail.cf files using the m4 utility. I
used to think sendmail was complicated - it isn't. I have set up
sendmail to handle multiple virtual domains and multiple ip addresses,
smtp authentication (really simple) and think that it's at the very
least - adequate.

I have never set up Exchange Server and given the serviceability and
usefulness of open source mail servers, I am quite certain that I am not
likely to set many up but I am also certain that it is a very good mail
server.

All in all, I don't think the advice quoted above is very good advice.

Craig