How do you know? (Was: Setting Vertical refresh)

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: How do you know? (Was: Setting Vertical refresh)
I have a basic question: how do you know it when the vertical refresh is the
problem and not, for example the horizontal refresh?

I have an old computer that I have not dug into X windows configuration yet.
I know it runs but the automatic settings didn't pick the right values. I
just don't know where to start tinkering. I still need to read the X config
docs so I have some idea what all those settings are in the config files.

Alan