ppp dialin: Not setting default gateway

Author: Craig White
Subject: ppp dialin: Not setting default gateway
William Lindley wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to set my linux box to accept dialin connections. I have
> mgetty answering the phone and pppd starting. When a windows box using
> Dial-Up Networking calls, it gets the IP which I specified in my
> /etc/ppp/options.server file.
>
> However the Windows box gets:
>
>         IP Address:   192.168.1.90
>         Default gateway: 192.168.1.90

> which is clearly wrong. The default gateway should be 192.168.1.254 but I
> don't see anywhere in the PPP docs or any of the HOWTOs how to set that.
> I did find a few threads with the help of Google from a few years ago, but
> they were all questions without answers.
>
> Has anyone overcome this problem?

------
ignore that - I believe that is correct - at least - that is the way it
will appear on Windows NT dial-up networking so I would expect that it
is much the same on linux.

more importantly, can the remote access computer ping ip addresses on
the lan? - how about off the lan? If you can ping, then you would only
need to supply dns info to the dial-in computers.

Craig