printing via USB on RH 7.1

Author: tim cutler
Subject: printing via USB on RH 7.1
I just bought an Epson Stylus C80 for my linux box. I connected it to
the USB port, and I think I have set up the printer per instructions at
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ using "printtool", setting the device to
/dev/usb/lp0. Print daemon is alive per /var/log/messages. Per the web
site, this printer is very linux friendly using ghostscript.

And nothing comes out of the printer. Printer standalone self-test page
is okay. I tried cat'ing a file to /dev/usb/lp0 and the command executes
immediately with no response from printer. Also, cat'ed to /dev/lp0 and
that command hangs, which seems to indicate that that is the port that
the printer wants to use. So, I'm wondering if the linux S/W is confused
about how to talk to the printer. Or, the USB port is not set up right.

Any ideas about how to ping the USB device, the printer or just somehow
get a handle on what the communication problem is here. I'm looking for
any troubleshooting technique here.

Thanks.

    Tim