Trouble sending email

Author: Craig White
New-Topics: Name resolution with WINS - finally
Subject: Trouble sending email
Rick Rosinski wrote:

> O.K. I have tried almost all suggestions that were posted. Telneting via
> "telnet mail.mindspring.com 25" worked - said it connected and all. THe
> ping -c 4 worked fine, as did the nslookup command. No jams anywhere. I
> have included the /etc/resolv.conf file if this helps. I have also changed
> my email address to rather than
> to see if that would help, but it failed also. The
> only things I haven't done yet was to try it through outlook express. I
> will try that before calling the techs back.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> BTW: Thanks for all of the response!

-----
since you can ping -c 4 mail.mindspring.com - you know this much...
- dns resolves mail.mindspring.com to an acutal ip address
- your computer can reach this ip adress
?
Since you can telnet mail.mindspring.com 25 (or smtp) you know this
much...
- you can create a session on port 25 to mail.mindspring.com
- there are no firewalls or blocks on port 25 between your computer and
mail.mindspring.com
- mail clients can use mail.mindspring.com to send email

Thus the only conclusion is...
- your mail client is either misconfigured or severely broken.

Make sure that your mail client:
- uses the same name (was it mail.mindspring.com?) for outgoing mail
(smtp)
- doesn't use ssl for outgoing connections (that would change the port
from 25)
- doesn't use any method of authentication for smtp (if authentication
is required - and I don't remember earthlink setting up smtp
authentication, let it ask for it and use your email account as your
authentication is requested).
- try another email client when all else fails

lastly, the file that you enclosed 'resolv.conf' demonstrates that kppp
is indeed getting the dns settings from dialup properly.

Craig