Dell Powerapp scsi

Author: Lowell Hamilton
Subject: Dell Powerapp scsi
I'm having issues with a Dell powerapp web 100 and the linux scsi
driver. This box has an Adaptech 29160LP, which is pretty standard for
1U servers. I installed win2k on this box and it seems to be working
fine so I'm pretty sure it's not hardware.

When firing up pretty much any linux 2.2.x and 2.4.x install disc, when
it hits the scsi driver, it detects the card correctly, then complains
for a while:

(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 160.0 MByte/sec, offset 63
(scsi0:0:0:0) CRC error during Data-in phase.
(scsi0:0:0:0) CRC error in intermediate CRC packet
(scsi0:0:0:0) scsi0 channel 0: resetting for second half of retries
(repeats)
sda: READ CAPACITY failed.
sda: status - 1, message - 99, host - 0, driver=18
sda: extended sendse code = b
sda: block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
Partition check:
(repeats whole mess again)
scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 0 , scsi0, channel-, id 0,
lun 0 0x28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
(scsi0:0:0:0) SCSISIGI 0xb6, SEQADDR 0x8c, SSTAT0 0x0, SSTAT1 0x3
(scsi0:0:0:0) SG_CACHEPTR 0x0, SSTAT2 0x40, STCNT 0xffffff
(scsi0:0:0:0) SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out, resetting

goes through and then finally gives up. It looks like it detects the
drives ok. Using the SCSI bios I low-leveled the drives again. Drives
detect as QUANTUM ATLAS V 18 WLS (in both scsi bios and linux driver)

The only kernel I have been able to almost boot with is slack8
scsi245.s, which doesn't complain about CRC errors, but locks up hard
(watchdog light comes on) after detecting the drives.

Any help getting this sucker to boot would be great.

Lowell