umask & dot forward

Author: Craig White
Subject: umask & dot forward
"Blake B." wrote:

> 775 would give you rwxrwxr-x, which does not give "everyone" write
> perms. You'd want 776 (or 777 if you want them to be able to execute
> it.)
>
> 4 digit mask includes (first digit) special bits, such as 'd' 't' 's',
> Which are all explained quite well in the chmod man page.
>
> The UMASK is the inverse of permissions. Basically if you have a UMASK
> of 022 then those bits are subtracted from a normal bitmask. Like so:
>
> UMASK = 022 == Permissions = 755
>
> Hope that helps.

-------
Ok - sorry that my question said 0775 and I knew that if I chmod 777
whatever that would make it _rwxrwxrwx but - and perhaps my problem is
really samba - I have the shares marked distinctly with force create
mode 0777 and the damn files & folders are created with _rwxr_xr_x (what
would appear to be 0755). Thus, it would seem that the permissions are
given to each user from their profile - which really isn't a profile
since they are all /bin/false for a shell (perhaps that is my problem).

This is very frustrating...

I think that I finally now understand umask - it is subtractive and not
additive - that my be my problem after all. I'll have to check it out
tomorrow.

Thanks,

Craig