The Future of PLUG

Author: Lucas Vogel
Subject: The Future of PLUG
> Starting a newbie meeting. Some of the topics that we have had in the past
> are way above the people just coming into Linux. They have found Linux as
> an alternative and need to know the things that the gurus learned a long
> time ago. I think PLUG needs to support these newbies and help to get them
> on the road to enjoying and contributing to Linux and to PLUG.

Instead of adding to our list of meetings, why don't we modify the format of
our existing meetings to be more newbie-friendly instead? Correct me if I'm
wrong here, but we've got an East Side meeting, a West Side Meeting, a
Stammitsch, a PLUG-Devel, and an ASULUG. These meetings, with the exception
of PLUG-Devel, are all based on location and not skill level. To be more
accomodating to newbies I suggest we either a. eliminate the location-based
meetings and base them on content level, or b. adjust the format of our
location-based meetings so that everyone of all skill levels can get more out
of each monthly meeting.

> Keeping PLUG informal. I hear the members saying that we are doing just
> fine and that we should not try to change PLUG by setting up a more formal
> organization. Besides, AZOTO now exists to do the kinds of things that
> require a formal organization.

It would be nice to know more about AZOTO, such as what it is, does, plans on
doing, etc. . I don't know if the PLUG page has been updated with anything,
but at the very least I hope it has an active mailing list and something to
offer to somebody somewhere. I can't even remember what AZOTO stands for :)

> I have a couple of things that I would like to see on the agenda.
>
> Getting more exposure for PLUG. People find us because they are looking
> for us for whatever reason. PLUG can get out into the community and let
> people know that they have options. Granted, we cant go out and
> participate in things like other conventions and expositions in the area
> because we do not have finances. But we can do things like setting up a
> table at places like Borders (or whoever else will let us) and pass out
> information about Linux and PLUG.

I would like to see traffic for this on the PLUG-Steering mailing list, and
even at the steering committee meetings as well.

> More Steering Committee meetings. Both closed meetings (open to SC members
> only) and open meetings (everyone welcome to come and participate). The
> Steering Committee is the invisible hand that guides PLUG and it should be
> more active. Closed meetings are nice to keep tabs on current activities,
> but open meetings get more input from the members and help to decide what
> activities, if any, the members want us to get going, keep going, and quit
> doing.

Me too

> So tell me what you think. Don't try to call me. My phone line is
> usually busy with the Internet. I read my email frequently and I read most
> of the posts to the PLUG mailing lists (altho I admit that I skip by a lot
> of items that have topics that I dont think I can contribute anything to).

After refreshing myself with Gerald Holmes's take on Linux, I vote we change
our names to 'The Linus Longhairs Group' - I'll bring the potatoes :)

- --
Lucas Vogel
Key ID: 0A64769C3E2AC1E0E