CRLF

Author: Jason
Subject: CRLF
Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:
> DOS, CP/M and other variants of the system all use CR/LF pairs. (this is due
> to the old typewriter analogy; CR moves the carriage back to the beginning of
> the line, and LF moves the paper up one line)

But one can simply open the file in Microsoft EDIT (the successor to
EDLIN) and then resave it, and it inherits CRLF properties.

> Unices are mandated to use LF only (I believe this is a POSIX requirement,
> not sure, though). Hence, when you directly copy any text file from a *nix
> based system to a DOS based system and type it out, you end up with
> "stairstepping" of the text. Eg:
>       The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
>                                                    The quick brown fox jumped.

Yep.

> Theoreticially, if it were possible to convert directly from a MacOS text
> file to DOS ASCII, if you were to type it out, all the text lines would
> overwrite each other on the same line.

I have verified this many times, when I used to use ZTerm on a Mac
2SI.

--

I use a generic c program whenever I need to convert one character to
another... I just compile up whatever I need and throw it in

cr2lf
lf2cr
tab2cr
space2cr
space2underline
underline2space

--

#include <stdio.h>
#include <strings.h>

--

Other fun stuff:
ctrl2dot (replaces unprintables with dots)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|