Rant

Author: Thomas Mondoshawan Tate
Subject: Rant
--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:04:51AM -0700, Nathan England wrote:
>=20
> My problem lately has been less and less tarballs and more and more
> rpms...
> After digging a little longer I'll eventually find the tarball. But this
> is usually only with programs that do not supply the source code. Which
> is usually what I'm after anyway, but sometimes I just can't find the
> tarballs. Luckily slack has limited rpm features, so I can force
> something into it. But I agree, sometimes it worries me that people will
> stop releasing tarballs or source. Instead only releasing rpm, and
> srpm. Which really screws me. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to
> debian, but I haven't been seeing as much debian packaging either. =20
>=20
> nathan

Unfortunately, I too face that issue. The only recourse I have is to use the
srpms and convert them to tar.gz files with alien. I'm thinking about
writing a C program that will convert directly from RPM to tar.gz files
_without_ having RPM installed, like alien currently requires, and build
from there. Forget about binary RPMS -- I don't trust them, and often
they're linked against the wrong libs anyway. =3Dop

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate

http://tank.dyndns.org

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU