a little security

Author: Rusty Carruth
Subject: a little security
> > ssh tunnells to ports 137, 138, and 139 from my computer at work to the
> > server. From there I mount the volumes.

Oh, wait. the <server> on the internet WOULD have ports 137-9 open.

Yes, definatly set up ipchains or similar ASAP....

Or, use the ssh to forward to ANOTHER machine which has the ports, like this:

<internet>---<machine_with_no_samba>---<samba_server>

where <samba_server> has the open samba, and <machine_with_no_samba does NOT
forward anything.

ssh to <machine_with_no_samba> and port forward to <samba_server>
(yes, you can forward to ANOTHER machine in your ssh tunnel)

rc