Methodology or Philosophy of Troubleshooting

Author: Craig White
Subject: Methodology or Philosophy of Troubleshooting
Eric Van Buskirk wrote:

> Linuxconf is supported in RH 7.1, although you are correct that it may be
> unwise to rely solely on it, rather than scripting.
>
> But it does work on 7.1. In addition to my laptop, I have a RH 7.1 server
> on an Intell 266 Celeron at home. This one has Linuxconf. The computer
> cost me $198.00 from CompUSA as a promo the day Windows 98 came out.
> "Windows 98--$198.00"--get it? Accordingly, that computer has always been a
> little wacky: the only way it would take RH 7.1 is if I let the install
> program make (almost) all of its own decisions (partitioning, packaging).
> When I did it that way, linuxconf loaded, and now works. But on my laptop,
> I did custom partition and package choice. The differences in these
> installations somehow account for the problem I am having on one computer,
> but not the other.
>
> I am sure I could "fix" the laptop problem by reinstalling. But I don't
> want to the kind of person whose sole troubleshooting recourse is
> reinstallation.

-----------
linuxconf does indeed work on 7.1 but it is - per redhat - officially
deprecated - soon to be not appearing in packagelist (I haven't seen the
packagelist in the non-existent Roswell yet ;-)

try installing again -- the brute force method perhaps

sometimes, I can get over myself and say - what the hey, and just
reinstall - but first would recommend that you do an e2fsck on all your
partitions - "shutdown now -r -F"

and then...

rpm -ivh --force linuxconf*

better than that - since linuxconf is notorious for breaking things like
sendmail, I would heavily recommend Webmin
<http://www.webmin.com>
<http://webadmin.sourceforge.net>

Craig