KDE & font anti-alias

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: KDE & font anti-alias
On Monday 06 August 2001 08:46 am, John W wrote:
> > I decide this morning to try anti aliasing fonts in the KDE control
> > center and as a result KDE will not work. What file can I look for to
> > make changes or delete?
>
> Found this one to be in .kde/share/config.kdeglobals.
> Changed antialiasing to "false" and KDE comes up fine. Strange that anti
> aliasing broke KDE but it works after disabling it.

I'm guessing that you have an older version of X4 and the Xft library. It
may sound like passing the buck, but 99% of all anti-aliasing problems "in
KDE" are actually problems with libXft. Ensuring that you have the latest
version eradicates most problems for most people.

Can you try the following? Start up KDE like normal and then start a small
KDE program from an xterm's command line... but start it like this:

% QT_XFT=yes kdcop

This should enable anti-aliasing for just that one program.  Let me know what
happens.  Also, what version of X4 and libXft are you using?

            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop