Pardon my soapbox. was: Re: [PLUG]Protest for Skylarov / DMC…

Author: der.hans
New-Topics: Fork Politics ( was Re: Pardon my soapbox. was: Re: [PLUG]Protest for Skylarov / DMCA)
Subject: Pardon my soapbox. was: Re: [PLUG]Protest for Skylarov / DMCA
Am 01. Aug, 2001 schwäzte Technomage so:

> could we use the npo as a political organization?
> it might be helpful if there was an organized movement afoot with
> a company to give the movement some credibility.
>
> How about a political action committee as well...

NO, NO, NO!

One thing a 501c3 can't do is get involved in politics. We don't even want
to think about it.

AZOTO can, however, educate people on issues like DCMA and UCITA. Can't
lobby or support things like protest rallies, though. There's a line there
and the group doesn't want to cross it.

PLUG can do whatever it wants because it's not going for 501c3 status. The
best thing here is probably for the PLUG mailing list to continue being a
source of communication about what's going on, etc. Maybe we should start
PLUG-politics or PLUG-philos, though.

Members of AZOTO also are not limited in their inidividual activities by
being associate with AZOTO. In other words, as individuals we can protest
all we want, we just don't want to arrange for it with AZOTO resources. PLUG
is not ( and shoult never be ) an AZOTO resource, so it's not affected by
AZOTO's 501c3 limitations.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.