install parties?

Author: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: install parties?

>I would love to have someone help me get my system working right...I just
>need all of the hardware set up so it works....for some reason Mandrake
>wouldn't install, so I had to go with Slackware. Slackware is nice as it
>has all of the latest stuff, but it doesn't quite work "out of the box"
>like Mandrake does, and after spending two solid days with it I just got
>frustrated, I'm sure if someone else knows what they are doing better
>perhaps they could help me with all my hardware? I would /really/
>appreciate it.

Slackware is a bit rough around the edges. You might want to take a
look at Debian if you're feeling spunky. As it is better supported than
Slackware, kind of a middle of the road between Mandrake and Slackware
with regards to working out of the box.

Im sure either Hans or I could get Debian installed on your machine.
(Though I cant speak for him) If you wanted to tackle before the next
meeting, Id be willing to help via email or IRC. If you need disks I
can provide those as well.

>my scrolling mouse wheel to work, sound, USB keyboard, etc. Perhaps also
>my scanner/digital camera/printer as well, but what I really need is to
>just be able to get to a stage where I can use Linux for all of my regular
>computing needs (web development, email, IM'ing, playing mp3, and browsing)

Do you know if all your equipment will run on GNU\Linux? Some scanners,
cameras etc still are not supported. With a current 2.4 kernel most
things will probably work though.

>Anyway I just joined this list, so hopefully I can start figuring
>everything out and make some meaningful contributions.

Derek