Linksys Question (was: Re: KVM recommendation)

Author: Craig White
Subject: Linksys Question (was: Re: KVM recommendation)

----
I bought the Omni USB (4 systems)

Things that I don't like about it...

1. The onscreen display lingers, and often shows the wrong system - I am one
of those idiots that actually configured it to say Windows - Mac OSX etc.

2. You have to use a PS2 keyboard to be able to switch from the keyboard -
USB keyboards won't switch between systems.

3. I have to reset the switch every time I restart my Macintosh Cube because
if the switch is on the Cube system at startup, neither the mouse nor the
keyboard will work unless I push the reset button (which switched it to
system 1 - it's all a hassle

4. My windows 2000 system will have a startup error every time - unable to
start i842 port (keyboard) and sees the PS/2 keyboard offered by the Omni as
USB (naturally because it connects via USB cable) - but still the damn
error - cannot be removed - even if I disable or remove the keyboard from
device manager.

5. You can't successfully burn CD's thru that thing at greater than 2X - so
much for plugging in USB CD Writer - that goes directly into computer in
second slot. Moreover - every time you switch back and forth - Win2k
complains (dialog on screen) that I didn't remove the CD writer properly -
even though it's connected when I switch back, I have to click OK on the
dialog.

I don't mind the beep when it switches - but the USB implementation
(dictated by Macintosh Cube) is weak.

Craig