sniffit

Author: George Toft
Subject: sniffit
Hi Eric,

Solaris has pkgadd, Linux has rpm (Debian/Slack have their own formats).
I think it's a given that packages are good as the packager is assumed
to be more knowledgeable about the package than you or me.

I prefer packages/rpms because the upgrade path or removal process
is much easier than having to reverse engineer the install option
in the makefile because the person who wrote the makefile never
foresaw their software being removed.

This reminds me of my Ethereal install a couple years ago - I had to
install libpcap, for which there was no SuSE package, so I had to
compile libpcap, and the makefile wouldn't work as the person who
made it assumed Solaris and not Linux, and things were in different
places. In the end, I spent two hours getting everything working.

I understand what you are saying about being spoon-fed. In the end,
I put on the bib, and sat in the highchair. I don't want to be a
developer. I don't care about makefiles. What's important to me is
whatever makes the job go quicker. Packages do this in so many ways.
Good SysAdmins, my their nature, are very time efficient (some call
it lazy). pkgadd -d packagename (or rpm -ivh packagename) is much
more efficient than:
make configure; make
<swear>vi makefile
make
make install
<swear>ln -s items as necessary

I've done the latter, but I find it fairly masochistic - it feels
so good when I'm done because the pain stops.

Don't fear the spoon - Bill is *not* on the other end of it. You
can learn more about Linux even with RPM's than you can learn about
Windows NT. It's that open feeling that comes with Open Source.

George