Linux VICTORY !

Author: John Mosier
Subject: Linux VICTORY !
Excelco sells Business Management Software that runs on Linux,
as well as many other servers.

We had a victory here last week. At one of my client's sites,
where they run BUNCHES of NT servers, we installed a SuSe 7.1
linux server. Our application, which involves a high volume
of transactions with extensive business logic, is I/O and compute
intensive. (eg 500,000 line items to become 10,000 invoices).
This process takes days to run on NT.

In our first test, we got around a 5 times faster throughput on
a $2,000 Compaq server with SuSe Linux file system. The 5x
speed improvement is really better than that, as the NT Server
is a dual processor $15,000 HP server with elaborate RAID, and
BOKU memory. Our next step is to install a second processor
in the Compaq and re-run the test.

Once that is accomplished, we plan to upgrade the hardware
for the Linux server.

John Mosier, Excelco, Inc. NEW contact info: Free: 866 225-3605

Fax:  (480) 922-6504                                  Voice: (480) 922-6500
http://www.swinfo.com                             http://www.excelco.com
8233 Via Paseo del Norte, Suite E-300, Scottsdale, AZ 85258