Greetings and Questions

Author: Thomas Sapp
Subject: Greetings and Questions
First off I would like to say hello. I just joined the mailing list and am
looking forward to enlightenment! (I'm a dork) Anyways, I also have a
question in regards to linux. I have two machines setup on my works
network, one is a redhat 7.1 box and the other is a SUSE 7.1 box. Neither
of these machines can ping hostnames on our network but they can ping
hostnames such as yahoo.com or linux.com. I can map to network drives if I
use the IP address of the machine I am mapping too. Our network is mainly
windows nt 4.0 or windows 2000 servers/workstations and as I had stated I
can access the shares on those machines if I use the IP address. For the
life of me, I can not figure out what my be wrong or what I need to fix in
order to correct this problem. I have specified the correct DNS servers, I
have also specified a non-used IP address on our network. My only guess
right now is that since we are using token-ring instead of ethernet it might
be messing things up but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Once again, I am excited to be a part of this mailing list and
look forward to communicating with you all.

Thanks
Tom Sapp