West Side PLUG, was: Re: Last Warning

Author: foodogfoodog@pop.phnx.uswest.net
Subject: West Side PLUG, was: Re: Last Warning
I'm happy to say I was previously mislead: GCC can be used for meetings
as long as someone who's an employee attends the meetings - that'll be
me initially.

For those familiar with GCC, I have my eye on the HT1 Teleconference
room. It's comfortable, spacious, and has networking - I'll need to do
some negotiating for a network connection but I think it can happen.

What we need to do is determine a day and time that would be good for
the largest number of people. The room's generally available evenings.
Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 6:00pm are usually free, for example. I
can check on proposed dates within one day, and reserve the room.

I'll commit to arranging space for 3 months for starters; indefinitely
if the experience proves to be "better than a poke in the eye with a
sharp stick".

"der.hans" wrote:
> The main thing is to follow up with whoever runs to location to make sure
> it keeps getting reserved after the initial setup. The rest is up to you
> and those who show up. Easiest is to just hang out and do installfest
> things as people show up.

I've had kinda a negative experience w/ installfest so I don't want to
rely on that too much :-). I think I could fill about 30 minutes and
not screw up too badly with something like "intro. security for home
users": inventorying services and killing them, installing portsentry
and logcheck. I can usually type "rpm -i"
with the best of em.

> part of GCC is one of the advantages to doing this as PLUG. Not to say
> anything bad about GCC, but there are politics and indifference in any
> such organization to overcome. ...

Not being a student club avoids *many* annoying problems and
negotiations.

> 2nd Thu is PLUG. 3rd Tue is Linux Stammtisch. 3rd Wed is ASULUG. I'd
> suggest not conflicting with those :).

Just to get the ball rolling, how about the last Tuesday of the month at
6pm? That'd be 3/27.

Steve