Kernel Compile

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: Kernel Compile
On Mar 1, 1:17pm, Sir Edward James William wrote:

> uname -a returns
> version 2.2.16

Well, you're not running 2.4.2 then.

> the install script worte it to system.map it did something

Yes. System.map is one of the files that should get updated.

> the vmlinuz is in my / not /boot

Ah.

Well, you need to figure out where your install script installed your
new kernel. Once you've done that you should create a new stanza
in lilo for booting this new kernel. Be careful to preserve your
old one (and make sure the label names are different) so that you
can still boot in the event that something is wrong with the kernel
you've just built. After that, run lilo and try again.

I know these instructions are not very specific, but they are as
specific as I can make them since I don't know very many details
regarding your system.

> Im new to linux and have dabbled in and out over 3 years just because it is
> not easy.
>
> im going to stick it out though

Good.

Kevin