booting a cloned disk

Author: der.hansPLUGd@LuftHans.com
Subject: booting a cloned disk
moin, moin,

I'm building quite a few boxen on the same hardware, so have setup a
cloning system.

sfdisk makes regenning the partition table a sinch and copying the
filesystem over is also easy.

The thing I haven't figured out, though, is how to setup the mbr. I don't
see a way, with lilo, to write the mbr to another drive. I guess I could
setup RAID 1 and let that do it, but I'm not wanting to right now :). I
thought of dding the first 512 bytes over, but that presumes the kernels
are in the exact same places on the disks, which I can't guarantee with
the methods I'm currently using. I think I can do this with grub since
it's actually reading the fs, but would prefer to stick with lilo for now
as that's what the others who would be using this understand.

Currently I boot an install CD into rescue mode, mount the drive and run
lilo with the -r option.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.