troubleshooting missing disk space

Author: der.hansPLUGd@LuftHans.com
Subject: troubleshooting missing disk space
Am 22. Jan, 2001 schwäzte Lucas Vogel so:

> I seem to have something running on my computer that is eating up all my
> disk space, and I can't figure out what it is. Does someone have any ideas
> as to how to determine where it's going? Between about 12 and 5 I seem to
> have lost about 6% of a 7 GB drive somewhere...

Use find to look for new files.

Use touch to create a file with a timestamp of noon, then find 'newer'
files.

Also, check to see if you have any shells parked in a dir tree that was
axed, e.g.:

mkdir -p /tmp/fred/anke
cd /tmp/fred/anke
dd if=/dev/kmem of=/tmp/fred/anke/george.dd bs=1024 count=100000
rm -rf /tmp/fred

Now, even though you've deleted the tree (and you can't get to it from the
dir tree), that file still exists because you have a shell parked in that
dir. Killing the shell will free up the drive space.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans