UPS for Linux?

Author: RustyCarruthrustyc@descomp.com
Subject: UPS for Linux?

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to buy a UPS for my linux server, a Pentium 100. What I want is
> something that will give the box (no monitor) about 5 to 10 mins of uptime
> so it can shut itself down, I'd also like it if the UPS either came with
> software to tell the linux system to shutdown, or if it had whatever cables
> you would need to get a Open Source program to do the same thing.
>
> I'm sorry If this doesn't make sense, I just want something that will turn
> my system off if the power losses it, and I don't know what to look for.
>
> Any ideas?

APCC has UPS's that work with linux, and they have a (non-opensource)
program to shut your computer down if the power goes out and the
UPS is running low. (www.apcc.com)

I think there is at least one other UPS mfgr that has linux software
also.

You may also want to go to freshmeat and look for UPS or the
whole string (uninterruptible power supply) (or both).

If you are intersted, I may be able to pick up a used UPS, replace
the batteries, and have you a working ups for significantly less
than a new one. For example, I have a Inmac ClearSignal 1200VA
(its really just an APCC SmartUPS 1200 with Inmac labels!) that will
cost me under $200 when I'm all done, and an APCC 800RT that will cost
me under $150 when I'm all done. If you want, I can see what I can
pick up - beware, though, its kinda catch as catch can... you neve
know what I'll end up with - I'll need a minimum and maximum VA
(or wattage) and battery size (min/max). I DID have an opportunity
to pick up a UPS that was 120V at like 15 or 20 Amp one time, but
that would have cost much more than I wanted to blow...

rusty - contact me OFFLIST if you want me to do this.

ANyway, back to the point. Go to www.apcc.com and they've got
good tools to help you figure out the size UPS you'll need, and
go to freshmeat.net to see what UPS mfgrs support/have opensource
software (if you must have OSSoftware ;-). If you want to roll
your own, see http://www.exploits.org/nut/library/apcsmart.html
for the protocol ;-)

Triplite (http://www.tripplite.com/linux/) makes OSS linux drivers
for their UPSs. I suggest a google (or other) search
for 'ups linux' - just filter out the '<company> ups support
for linux' hits!

rusty