setuid programs

Author: BillWarnerwwarner@direct-alliance.com
Subject: setuid programs
Ok, turn of security related flames for this please.

We have an archaic piece of software that we are trying to replace
but it has been movied over from a SCO system and is useing the iBCS
binary compatibilty. On the Sco box it was set uid and ran the ps
command
but on linux we get an error message:

This /bin/ps not secure for set uid operation.

we can make this work when logged in as root or su - to root but we have
tried everything and cant even get sudo to work. I am guessing that
there
is a kernel security that doesnt let programs that access the /proc
filesystem
to be able to run suid?

Is there a way we can get around this untill we can come up with a
better
system??????

--
Bill Warner