advice wanted on structuring LAN + internet

Author: Pee Kay
Subject: advice wanted on structuring LAN + internet
-----Original Message-----
From: "David P. Schwartz" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 17:22:43 -0700

> I'm curious what trade-offs might exist between a couple of different ways of hooking up a
> web server and a LAN:
>
> 675 modem -> [web NIC -> web server -> LAN NIC] -> LAN hub ==>> multiple workstations

Since I only have 1 IP address alotted to me this is exactly how I have my home LAN setup. Of course the only difference in my setup is that the web server is actually a web/firewall server. I use www.e-smith.org for my firewall distro.

> -- vs --
>
> 675 modem -> LAN hub1 + -> web server
>                       + -> DL-701 -> LAN hub2 ==>> >multiple workstations

Because my old place of work got a small block of IPs for their dsl connection this is the setup used. The first hub(or switch prefered) is your DMZ. All external IP's flow through there without any firewall rules. The second hub is you internal LAN that is protected by the firewall.

P-K