3 Questions

Author: J.L.Francois
Subject: 3 Questions
It seems like on Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 07:53:41PM +0000, Hawke scribbled:
Orig Msg> J.L.
Orig Msg> is it any better than 2.7?
Orig Msg> I tried running it here and got a pot load of problems
Orig Msg> (I even had to low-level format the drive to get rid of it).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> otherwise, if 2.8 has a lot more functionality, I'd certainly
Orig Msg> like to try it.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I won't set it up on my main box until I know whats up with it
Orig Msg> first though. its a bitch to work when you don't have the knowledge
Orig Msg> required to put it together correctly.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I wonder though, will linuxconf work under it?
Orig Msg>

From the OpenBSD INSTALL.i386:

To integrate more smoothly in other environments, OpenBSD 2.8 has
significantly enhanced the binary emulation subsystem (which includes
iBCS2, Linux, OSF/1, SunOS, SVR4, Solaris, and Ultrix compatibility)
and several kernel subsystems have been generalized to support this
more readily. The binary emulation strategy is aimed at making the
emulation as accurate as possible so that it is transparent to the
user.

Many new user programs have been added in OpenBSD 2.8, as well,
bringing it closer to our goal of supplying a complete and modern
UN*X-like environment. Tools like perl and ksh are standard, as are
numerous other useful tools.

==================

From my perspective it looks like more functionality has been added in the new
release.
I still like 2.7, never had any problems with it except for the Linux emulation
so thats why I am looking forward to installing 2.8.

Don't know if linuxconf would be a good idea since the filesystem standard
is not quite the same.

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
MagusNet, Inc. - Design * Develop * Integrate
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
My Certifications: http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=1214021
Doing my part to educate the Clubie Illiterati. One LART at a time!