recommended tool to auto update rpms?

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: recommended tool to auto update rpms?
On Nov 8, 8:42am, Jason wrote:

> Kevin Buettner wrote:
> > I may be doing my employer a disservice by saying this, but I almost
> > never use the kernel that comes with the distribution. I usually
> > fetch the kernel sources and build it myself once the basic OS install
> > is done. (Okay, so I do run the distribution supplied kernel for just
> > long enough to build a new kernel myself.)
>
> Why would that be a disservice?

My employer is Red Hat. For me to say that I rarely use the kernel
that they ship with the distribution might be interpreted by some as
having a lack of confidence in Red Hat's ability to build fast, solid
kernels or somesuch. In actuality, I have a lot of confidence in
the folks that maintain the distribution kernels. I've met some of
them and am most impressed.

> IMHO, using someone elses supplied kernel is a sign that one has not
> even begun to optimize one's system.

I agree with you.

I also build my own kernels for the following reasons:

- force of habit; I've been building my own kernels ever since I
started using linux in 1994.
- access to the latest bleeding edge drivers and other features;
e.g. I remember building many of the kernels in the 1.3.X series
so I could use IP masquerading. Even if you don't want bleeding
edge stuff, chances are good that the latest "stable" kernel has
a higher version number than what the vendor shipped. (I suppose
it's possible to do an RPM upgrade of the kernel, but I've never
felt comfortable with this.)
- running ``make xconfig'' and looking at the available options is
one way of keeping track of new stuff going into the kernel.