StarOffice 5.2

Author: Nathan Saper
Subject: StarOffice 5.2
I agree, Applix is great. I bought a copy from RedHat, and used it on
my laptop until I switched to Debian. I tried converting the Applix
RPMs to DEBs using Alien, but it wouldn't install. I could go ahead
and buy it in a non-RPM version, but I'd rather use something that I
don't have to pay for.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 11:46:03PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Don't know if it matters but I use Applixware from applix (www.applix.com) on my
> linux box. With just the english dictionary and help files it is only around
> 100mb (the manual says 133MB, but since I don't use all the options it kept it
> smaller). The real nice thing about it is its ability to be a network app. I
> had an email off the applix mailing list (which I can't find at this time, sigh)
> that a user had a PPro 200 with (iirc) 128MB RAM had 12 concurrent users using
> Applixware, total cpu time for the processes was less than 20% and only about
> half the RAM. Lets see MicroCrap Office do that. I haven't encountered any
> errors when transfering files from office97/2000, but I don't do much in the way
> of advanced features (e.g. macros, heavy formatting with images, etc...). Yes
> you do have to pay for it, but I have found it worth the price.

- --
Nathan Saper () | http://www.well.com/user/natedog/
GnuPG (ElGamal/DSA): 0x9AD0F382 | PGP 2.x (RSA): 0x386C4B91
Standard PGP & PGP/MIME OK      | AOL Instant Messenger: linuxfu