well, I am pissed with redhat

Author: Jason
Subject: well, I am pissed with redhat
Hawke wrote:

> Eden,
> I've often found that half the mirrors are either delayed
> in getting the updates, or don't have them (or in a lot of cases
> have too many users online to be effective ports of entry).

Perhaps the mirror sites are ALSO having trouble reaching the redhat
site. Seems plausible, as so many of you with great bandwidth and
perhaps even scripts to get them seem unable as well...

3:34 AM, and I am unable, again, to log into the redhat site itself.

Perhaps someone should suggest to RedHat that they ought to have a
"Mirror User" login on their site. That is, allow a unique
username/password to anyone who agrees to provide a full mirror of the
redhat site to anyone else, free of charge, allowing at least XX (?)
number of users at once.

RedHat could even verify the integrity of the program by randomly
attempting to retrieve the head of any given file on their site that
ought to be mirrored, say, once a week or so. If a machine failed the
weekly check, their username could then be entered into a checkup
list, which would attempt to verify a random file at a random time,
once a day, for the next week ... if the person failed all 7 attempts,
their mirror login would then be suspended and email sent to the
mirror site operator and redhat site operator.

Clumbsy, but if current mirrors are operating with something similar
to "wget", it could dramatically improve things.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|