ppc linux

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: ppc linux
On Oct 20, 10:21pm, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

> Suse and Linux PPC will only work on PCI bus Macs. That would be the
> problem with the 7100 (nubus)...

MkLinux should still work fine for the NuBus Macs.

See http://www.mklinux.org/ .

I used the DR1 release as soon as it became available in 1996. There
were a few problems, but for the most part it worked really great. (I
remember being astonished that NFS worked right off the bat.) I had a
lot of fun with it and it saved me from having to develop the project
that I was working on at the time (a JIT compiler for Metrowerks) on
MacOS. At some point along the way I did move on to linux/ppc because
it was faster and somewhat more stable than MkLinux. (I think the
MkLinux folks got the stability problem that I was experiencing fixed
shortly after I switched though.) Anyway, although I haven't tried it
out recently, I highly recommend it to those of you who want to run
Linux on your NuBus Macs.

Kevin