RedHat Network redux

Author: der.hans
Subject: RedHat Network redux
Am 13. Oct, 2000 schwäzte so:

> Well, it depends on the level of autoinstalling there is. Do you
> really want some script *hopefully* not bungling your sendmail config
> on the way by? Your kernel? Personally, I'd want an option that said
> "prep everything, then send email with suspected degree of brokenness
> if just launched".

I'm presuming rpm does this :). The step that needs to be automated is
finding out about security update, downloading them and their dependencies
and then doing rpm installs. As for the update not hosing the system,
that's mostly dependent upon the skill and knowledge of whoever built the
rpm :).

I'm looking for the rpm equiv to "apt-get update && apt-get -u
dist-upgrade" for security stuff.

> I think prolly wiring up a perl script to watch rpm --dryrun or
> something would be sufficient to catch dependencies and go on.
> Although, in theory, if you have the package already installed you
> have the dependencies already. [Excepting raw-ware when they split a
> project into pieces....]

Or where the package is dependent on a newer version of another package
than it was before.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.Opnix.com
# Science is magic explained. - der.hans