trans and layers in image format

Author: sinck@ugive.com
Subject: trans and layers in image format
Try the gimp native format. I think it's .xcf or something.

\_ what image format (that gimp knows) allows one to save both transparency
\_ info and layers? png doesn't seem to be saving layer info, but saves
\_ transparency. jpg and bmp won't save either. Don't think gif will do
\_ layers. Don't know other image formats.