icecast streaming

Author: LucasVogellvogel@exponent.com
Subject: icecast streaming
After listening to someone's use case about icecast in this newsgroup I
decided that I too would venture into the icecast configuration and setup.
But from the start I have had nothing but problems trying to get the streams
to sound good-good meaning not being so chopped up or repeating. I am
running ices, which really is beta quality at best but it's the first
streamer that I've been able to use that seems to chop streams the least.
    My question is, is it icecast, ices, or my sound clients where my
problem lies? I've changed buffer sizes in icecast and ices and recompiled,
which seems to have helped out a bit. But no matter what I seem to do on the
server side, when I try to connect with Winamp at work or on my laptop it
sounds terrible. When I use mxaudio on my computer(streaming through HTTP
and NOT localhost) it sounds almost completely perfect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lucas Vogel, Software Developer
Exponent Failure Analysis Associates, Inc.

(623)587-6739