Newbie firewall/masqarade/proxy confusion

Author: AlanDayleyADayley@adtron.com
Subject: Newbie firewall/masqarade/proxy confusion
At 10:25 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Alan,
>
>I'm doing exactly what you want to do. My ISP is Sprint Broadband
>(formerly Speedchoice).
>
>First, you have picked the appropiate hardware - a 486 makes a great
>router/firewall/server. You will want two NICs in it. One should be a

--<clip>--

I have two cards left over from other ventures, a hub and all the network
cable I need.

>I also run RH 6.2. your firewall will consist of a startup script
>(calling ipchains many times) to do packet filtering and masquerading,
>and possibly a tcpwrappers config file set as a second level of
>protection. I set up my firewall script from the following site:
>
>http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html

I looked at that once and will use it to make a script for study. This and
the one from Der will help.

--<clip>--
>You will also need to think about whether you want to run an internal
>DNS, web server, sendmail or some other email MTA. Also, you want to
>consider whether you want your internal clients to run pop or imap.
>Also, you probably want to get openssh and possibly openssl for secure
>access from the outside. Also, Samba is a must if you have windows
>machines on your internal network, and can be very helpful even if you
>don't. and don't be without Webmin: http://www.webmin.com/webmin/ for
>system administration. With webmin, I run my 486 from a browser - the
>machine has no KB, mouse or terminal.

Cool! All of this is something I want to get to, eventually.

>Definitely, you should apply for your own domain name.

Got one. Had it for years. No one wants to buy it from me for what
greatdomains.com says it is worth so I guess I'll keep it.

>I'm sure I've forgotten many little things. It's so much fun, I can't
>get it all into one email :-)
>
>If you would like to discuss my experiences with all this, don't
>hesitate to email. I can send you sample config files, etc.

I think I need to digest for a little while before I know more detailed
things to ask and examples to request.

Thanks to all the help!

Alan