My crusade for web content filtering

Author: KevinSalingnetworkpro@email.com
Subject: My crusade for web content filtering
Wow, I've been away from the PLUG list for a long time. Good to be back. I
searched through the archives, but did not find any relevant threads... so
here goes.

I am trying to create a web content filter at the choke point of my network
that will provide a safe web surfing environment for children downstream (on
the internal LAN). I can do this directly on the firewall (OpenBSD <shhh>)
or on a separate Linux server (maybe a squid box). Doesn't matter.

Basically, the hard part has been finding something that provides keyword
searching of incoming html pages. There are tons of URL filters out there,
but that's _not_ what I'm looking for. Squid apparently doesn't have an API
that provides access to the actual data stream (just URL's) so a squid
module doesn't seem likely.

So, in the end, my tireless searching (and my friend Stephen <wink>) has
turned up ActiveGuardian and JunkEx as possible options. Unfortunately,
ActiveGuardian's web forum is not encouraging and JunkEx refuses to install
for me.