rsh, rlogin, rcp question

Author: MikeCantrellmikec@autodispatch.com
Subject: rsh, rlogin, rcp question
> We are on a mostly trusted network with little user access to the
> systems. I
> just needed a right now solution while I look into useing ssh as a
> replacement
> for the rcmd rcp stuff.
>
> one question that might be a good one. I have only ever used ssh as a
> replacement
> for telnet and never really looked into all of its functionality. can
> it be a drop in
> replacement for the r* commands? if i crated links from rcp -> scp and
> rcmd -> ssh
> will scripts still run? and how do I go about authintication for
> replaceing the .rhosts
> files? I guess I will be rtfming on this for a while so don't bother
> answering all this
> except maybe the drop in replacement stuff.
>
> Bill Warner

Yeah, they have very similar usage for doing default stuff. The ssh/scp
command support a lot more options but the basic functionality is the same.
You are on the right road as far as the .rhosts stuff goes, TFM has a few
different ways of doing the .rhosts thing (hint .shosts, and
ssh_known_hosts).

Regards,
Mike Cantrell