DSL question from a newbie

Author: PeterM.WilliamsPeterWilliams@worldnet.att.net
Subject: DSL question from a newbie
Hello all,
    I haven't spent much time with computers since 1993.  Last year I was
forced to swap from Mac to IBM, and now I'm starting to play with Linux on a
PII300 I picked up cheap.  I say play because I haven't' even been able to
get the thing to recognize the StarOffice CD I bought at the last PLUG
meeting, so I obviously have a way to go before I can say I 'work' with
Linux.
    Anyway, my questions are about DSL vs. cox cable modem technology.  Now
that I'm playing again, I want to play faster.  I'm looking at the Cox cable
internet and at DSLsource, but I'm open to any other suggestions.  At this
point, I don't even know if Cox can be used with Linux, and I'm a little
hesitant to sign with DSLsource, as I would be paying for the slowest speed
they offer and an IDSL modem.
Any thoughts?
Pete