The Case for Debian Mass Installs and SysAdmin Stuff...

Author: J.L.Francois
Subject: The Case for Debian Mass Installs and SysAdmin Stuff...
There were a few of you at the PLUG meeting that figured I was
just biased towards Debian without giving DedRhat and RPM a
fair shake for consideration with KickStart.
I only plan to use tar,cpio,nfs,samba,dpkg,apt,ssh,FAI,and cfengine
to make the Sysadmin function a breeze thru automation/scripting.
I picked Debian because all of the tools I need will be or already are
cleanly integrated into the distribution.
I also have a set of home grown scripts I have already written
that do most of this work already.
Please look at the URLs below.
Feedback welcome and encouraged.

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
FAI (Fully Automatic Installation)
FAI will be fully integrated into Woody but is available for use today.

http://www.iu.hioslo.no/cfengine/docs/cfengine-Tutorial.html
GNU cfengine
Tool for configuring and maintaining network machines
The main purpose of cfengine is to allow the system administrator
to create a single central file which will define how every host
on a network should be configured.
It is the hardest to set up but pays big in the long run.

http://www.iu.hioslo.no/cfengine/cflinks.html
Try this link to look at some of the other kickass tools
for Automated System Admin.

NOTE: The trick is to not let anyone know you are using these tools
      so you can spend more time on the golf course while looking
      like a member of the Sysadminerati Illuminatus[1] to the
      common l^Huser folk as they stand in awe of the miracles
      being performed on the servers even when you aren't there.

[1] Enlightnened System Administrator Social Class

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Supernatural Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ: 8137851