No space left on device

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: No space left on device
On Jun 21, 12:09pm, Stuart Foster wrote:

> Other than the obvious, what causes this message and how do I determine how
> much space is available?

For a filesystem, use ``df'' to determine how much space is available.

The easiest way to see the other sorts of things which might trigger
this message is to grep for ENOSPC in the kernel sources.

E.g, in ext2_file_write() in fs/ext2/file.c, it appears that ENOSPC
is returned when the disk is read-only.

For some reason, ENOSPC is returned as an error condition in some of
the sound driver code. I haven't checked the details, but the
"No space left on device" message could certainly be very confusing
in this context.

Kevin