OpenBSD 2.7 is out

Author: NathanSapernatedog@well.com
Subject: OpenBSD 2.7 is out
writes:
> I have really never felt that Open Source was Marxist. Though many
> Marxist people seem to really like the concept, it does not have the
> aspect of control that Marxist governments exhibit. I've always thought
> Open Source was more like anarchy.

Marxist governments? Haven't seen any of those around. :) I don't
want to turn this into a political/economic/philosophical discussion,
but I'd suggest reading some of Marx's unfinished 1844 manuscripts. I
think the philosophical parallels between Marx's thinking and Open
Source are quite interesting.

> The analogy I like to use is that it's like a good-old-fashioned barn
> raising. A bunch of people in a farming community would get together
> and build a barn for one of the farmers. And then that farmer would
> help someone else build a barn. It's mutually benificial, and totally
> voluntary.

This also seems like a good analogy.

> I have a theory that all political systems seek the same thing, but none
> of them actually know what it is or how to attain it. :-)

> -BVG

- --
Primary Email (PGP):
Alternate Email (no PGP):