SOLVED: mounting hard drive with unknown partition

Author: Patrick Stoddard
Subject: SOLVED: mounting hard drive with unknown partition
With the hints I received from David Sinck and one other person whose
name/e-mail address escapes me now, my problem I was trying to help
solve by e-mail (getting Linux to recognize an 8Gb drive that was
not configured while Red Hat 6.1 was reinstalled) has been solved.
There was only one partition on the drive, it was mounted with this:

mount /dev/hdb -t auto /dat

and there was a single ext2 partition on the drive. Using 'df -T'
my friend confirmed the partition was ext2, so the appropriate line
was added to /etc/fstab so this would mount automatically when the
system starts up.

With this problem solved, I can spend the weekend in north Baja not
doing work - other than finding my next cerveza...... :) which
should not be a problem. Thanks for the replies!

Patrick