users on linux

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: users on linux
A bit if a strange thing is happening at work:
I have had my first two user REQUEST linux
on their PC's (one a workstation & one a laptop).
It is a bit strange in the fact that all my users
have always been on NT or 9x. Only the servers
or my pc has ever had Linux installed.

My question is this: If they need to use gcc, make
and a host of other tools for compiling (they will
be doing chip design), do they need root access?

Root access has always been something I have always
kept to myself as I never had a need to share it with
anyone else. As I find myself installing Linux more
and more, I guess I'd like to learn how to deal with it as a
user's workstation.
-

Mike Starke