cp /dev/video or some such

Author: der.hansPLUGd@LuftHans.com
Subject: cp /dev/video or some such
moin, moin,

I've heard it's possible to make a copy of what's going out to the video
card via the command line, e.g. scriptable :). I don't remember what the
/dev/thingy was, though that enabled this. This was long before I ever
heard of the framebuffer driver, but doesn't mean that it didn't involve
it.

Anyway, anyone know what I'm talking about and how to make a copy of
what's coming up on the screen in both terminal and X mode?

Part 2 is that this picture isn't exactly jpg or png, so how does one then
convert it to something displayable in a common graphics program. Eventual
goal is to shove stuff in html and print. Some of this is from before the
OS is installed, so xgrab and friends aren't great answers.

danke,

der.hans
--
# home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.OpNIX.com
# Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans