Hi There

Author: Dave
Subject: Hi There

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BFB849.9DC7BEA0

As a new subscriber to the list, I just wanted to say hello to all. So, =
what I thought I would do is share one of those "How could I have done =
this?" stories.
My girlfriend and I drove to Las Vegas to pick up some supplies for her =
mothers computer that I am setting up here. It's an old unit with a 486 =
DX-100 in it and it has only ISA slots. So I got in the store and they =
had no ISA modems available. Now, I've been running an ISA modem on my =
box so I just picked up a PCI modem and figured I'd do a swap. Sure. =
After we left and were driving back home, (I live in Bullhead City =
around 100 miles away), I suddenly remembered that there were such =
things as jumperless, software configurable, plug and play only, Windows =
only, etc etc. modems. I had her take it out of the box and, sure =
enough, that's what it was. Now, not wanting mom to be without a =
computer, I went and swapped it anyways as a temporary measure. Really, =
I just hope this doesn't get around work since I've already professed my =
opinion on winmodems to any and all who would listen. In fact, I know =
where there is a good ISA modem at work right now........ But =
seriously, I look forward to joining in now and then when time permits. =

By the way, I am running the Mandrake 7.0 distribution of Linux. Just =
upgraded from 6.0. When running X, I use Gnome. I have the machine set =
up for IP Masquerading so it acts as a gateway for my home network for =
internet services. And, it will again, as soon as I get rid of the =
"winmodem" early this week.

Take care,

Dave Cooper
Bullhead City, AZ

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BFB849.9DC7BEA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>As a new subscriber to the list, I =
just wanted=20
to say hello to all.&nbsp; So, what I thought I would do is share one of =
those=20
&quot;How could I have done this?&quot; stories.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My girlfriend and I drove to Las =
Vegas to pick=20
up some supplies for her mothers computer that I am setting up =
here.&nbsp; It's=20
an old unit with a 486 DX-100 in it and it has only ISA slots.&nbsp; So =
I got in=20
the store and they had no ISA modems available.&nbsp; Now, I've been =
running an=20
ISA modem on my box so I just picked up a PCI modem and figured I'd do a =

swap.&nbsp; Sure.&nbsp; After we left and were driving back home, (I =
live in=20
Bullhead City around 100 miles away), I suddenly remembered that there =
were such=20
things as jumperless, software configurable, plug and play only, Windows =
only,=20
etc etc. modems.&nbsp; I had her take it out of the box and, sure =
enough, that's=20
what it was.&nbsp; Now, not wanting mom to be without a computer, I went =
and=20
swapped it anyways as a temporary measure.&nbsp; Really, I just hope =
this=20
doesn't get around work since I've already professed my opinion on =
winmodems to=20
any and all who would listen.&nbsp; In fact, I know where there is a =
good ISA=20
modem at work right now........&nbsp; But seriously, I look forward to =
joining=20
in now and then when time permits.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>By the way, I am running the =
Mandrake 7.0=20
distribution of Linux.&nbsp; Just upgraded from 6.0.&nbsp; When running =
X, I use=20
Gnome.&nbsp; I have the machine set up for IP Masquerading so it acts as =
a=20
gateway for my home network for internet services.&nbsp; And, it will =
again, as=20
soon as I get rid of the &quot;winmodem&quot; early this =
week.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Take care,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dave Cooper</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bullhead City, AZ</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BFB849.9DC7BEA0--